Love bread but it doesn’t fit into your healthy diet regimen? This 5 ingredient quick bread is the perfect alternative and you’ll never miss the real stuff. It is also gluten free, paleo friendly, and has vegan options!
My name is Christina and I love bread. For a while I was making fresh bread at least once a week and I want to emphasize the “at least” because it was usually more like 2-3 times. Knowing that I was developing a problem….a delicious problem at that…I decided to make a rule in our house. No bread until the weekends. But how was I to supplement my love for bread during the week?
I needed to come up with something that was a healthier alternative but satisfied my need for beloved bread. I knew it would involve garbanzo bean flour because it is my go to in all veggie burgers, healthy pancakes, pizza crust, etc, because it is so high in protein and virtually flavorless.
I then had to think of ways to match the texture of bread. Crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside, can be toasted and slathered with something without getting soggy or falling apart. It took two different tries to get this recipe down but I am more than happy with the end result and just finished eating a slice before writing this post.
Just 5 ingredients is all you will need (8 if you want to be fancy) and many of the ingredients can be substituted:
1. Sweet potato – any starchy vegetable will work here. Feel free to use squash or even plain potato
2. Garbanzo Bean Flour – any high-protein flour will work. Feel free to use your favorite flavored protein powder or peanut flour
3. Coconut Milk – any type liquid will work here.
4. Egg – I have tested this recipe with a flax egg as well as egg replacer and all have turned out.
5. Baking powder – no substitute you MUST use baking powder
6. Agave – I love the added sweetness but the sweet potato is enough if you want to shave calories or are avoiding sugar for any reason. Substitute any type of sugar if you don’t have agave, whether it is liquid or not does not matter.
7. Cinnamon – agave, sweet potato, and cinnamon? It resembles french toast, um hello! Any flavor add-ins work
8. Salt – not necessary but enhances the flavors
All ingredients are blended together until smooth and poured in a greased ramekin and microwaved for 2 to 3 minutes. We’re not done yet.
Invert our “bread” onto a flat surface:
and slice in half before tossing into the toaster to toast for 5 minutes. Check the bread to see if it meets your desired toasty-ness and if not just pop it back in for a few minutes.
You’re done. That’s it. You created an insanely easy and fast quick bread that is the perfect substitute for the real thing.
I hope you enjoy this quick bread as much as I do!