Guys, you may need to sit down for this.
No, seriously. I took your red velvet love away and replaced it with a bubblegum pink velvet. Trust me, you won’t miss the traditional version. I promise.
C’mon, they’re in donut-form! What is not to love about donuts?
Still don’t forgive me for breaking your heart? Have a taste. I’ll even let you lick the cream cheese frosting bowl clean. Deal?
I’m so happy that you’re happy.
You see, I had every intention of making these red. Lies. I knew they weren’t going to be red because I did not use cheap, artificial food coloring. Yes, I just broke your heart and called your red-velvet-love cheap. Sorry, I’m not sorry. These are better for you because I used [are you ready?] beets as coloring. Insert shriek and cries here.
Okay okay. I broke your red-velvet-love, called it cheap, and then threw vegetables in your dessert. I get it, you’re upset. But trust me that these are delicious and you cannot taste the beets in them. Especially when they’re slathered in cream cheese frosting
- 2 c flour, sifted
- 1 tbls cocoa powder
- 1 c sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ c beet puree
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbls flax seed mixed with 6 tbls beet juice)
- 2 tbls butter, melted (I use Earth Balance)
- ¼ c Tofutti cream cheese, soft
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 2 tbls butter (I use Earth Balance)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- coconut milk
- Pre-heat oven to 450 and grease donut pan
- Sift dry ingredients together and set aside
- Cream together beet puree, vanilla, flax eggs, sugar, and butter
- Alternate between adding dry ingredients and coconut milk
- Fill donut pan ¾ full with batter
- Bake 8 mins and allow to cool before frosting
- Cream all ingredients together until smooth
Once you get over that they’re not red, make these for someone special for Valentines Day!